Star-Spangled Banner
For a belated July 4th read, this week I'd like to recommend Peter Spier's The Star-Spangled Banner, first published in 1973. The Star-Spangled Banner is one of several Spier books that are simply the lyrics to a song, accompanied by his precise pen-and-watercolor illustrations. (Other examples include The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night, The Erie Canal, and London Bridge is Falling Down!)
I appreciate so many things about this book. For one thing, though most Americans only know the first verse, this book illustrates three full verses of the song, with a fourth verse included in the endnotes. The illustrations begin with a depiction of the War of 1812 battle that inspired the original poem, and then slowly broaden to include all the things we love about America today.
I love that Spier shows the flag from so many different perspectives--night, day, glimpsed through a window, reflected in rippling water. And the extensive endnotes, giving the backstory of the song's composition, make it useful for teaching U.S. history. As a nice addition, there is also sheet music so the song can be played on the piano and sung. Finally, I find it touching that Spier, who emigrated from the Netherlands as a young man, would feel inspired to illustrated this ode to his adopted country. A lovely book for Independence Day, or anyday.
Ages: 4+
Rating: A+




Comments
Post a Comment