Jack and the Beanstalk



I have always been a huge fan of E. Nesbit, so when I saw that she had her own retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, I knew I had to give it a try.  I will not insult anyone's intelligence by summarizing the story.  Instead, let me focus on what makes Nesbit's version unique.  First, there is her unique authorial voice, providing an amusing commentary on the familiar events.  Nesbit is good at subtly pointing out the aspects of the story that don't really make any sense, but that we don't tend to notice, since the story is so familiar to us.  Thus, when Jack first entreats the giant's wife for a meal, she responds:

    "Go away!" said the little old woman who opened the door, just as many people do if you ask them for something to eat and they don't happen to know you. 

And have you ever thought it was strange that the giant's wife doesn't recognize Jack as the same boy when he comes back the second and third time?  I'm not sure I did, but Nesbit pokes fun at this plot hole when she says:

    ...she did not know him again.  Either his face was changed, or the breeches were a complete disguise.


I also appreciate that Nesbit changes an aspect of the story that always troubled me: namely, that though the giant is certainly despicable, this in itself doesn't really give Jack the right to steal his prized possessions.  However, in this telling, Nesbit adds a backstory in which the kingdom in the sky was stolen from Jack's father by the giant years before, making Jack and his mother the actual rightful owners of the gold, magical hen, and harp.  

Matt Tavares also deserves credit for his watercolor illustrations.  His giant is genuinely creepy, almost as much for his filth and squalor as for his violent menace.


Before closing, I must touch on the one drawback of this version: sadly, this giant never says "Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum."  This is a huge oversight, but you can always add it in when reading aloud.  Otherwise, highly recommended on all counts!

Ages: 4+

Rating: A


Comments

Popular Posts