Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
Children, especially boys, love asking how things work. How does a 2,000 jumbo jet get off the ground? How does a camera take pictures? How does a nuclear power plant work, and how is it different from a nuclear bomb? (Perhaps that last one is just my children.) On the one hand, I'm glad my children respect me enough that they think I can spout answers to these and innumerable other questions off the top of my head. But on the other hand, even if I did remember everything I learned in high school physics, how can I explain it in terms an eight-year-old will understand?
Randall Munroe has accepted this challenge with his book Thing Explainer, published in 2015. Munroe is known for his extremely nerdy web comic strip xkcd, but has an extensive science background and previously worked as a robot engineer at NASA. As a crazy thought experiment carried to its absurd logical conclusion (which is also a good description of most of his comics), Munroe asked himself, "Can I explain complex scientific topics using only the most common 1,000 words in the English language?"
Part of the fun of this approach is simply figuring out what he's referring to. "Boat that goes under the sea" is clearly a submarine, but it might take a minute to realize that a "Hole-making city boat" is a big rig for offshore oil drilling. Other topics covered are household appliances, the periodic table, tectonic plates, jet engines, smart phones, and much more. All are illustrated in his trademark comic style of stick figured and line drawings. This fits the material perfectly, since it also reduces everything to its simplest form, just in the visual sphere.
![]() |
| International Space Station, i.e. "shared space house" |
Ages: 8 to adult
Rating: A-




Comments
Post a Comment