Fire Brigade Day


Today I would like to recommend a charming little book called The Little Fire Engine, by Graham Greene. And yes, I do mean that Graham Greene.  I don't know what inspired the author of The Power and the Glory and Our Man in Havana to write a picture book about a plucky steam-powered fire engine and its owner, but I'm glad that he did.

Published in 1973, The Little Fire Engine tells the story of old Sam Trolley, an old sailor and world-traveler who has retired to a quiet country village to man its sole pony-drawn fire engine.  However, Sam, the fire engine, and the pony all fall on hard times when they are dismissed as having outlived their usefulness, and a new motorized fire truck arrives in town.  It is only when emergency strikes that the villagers realize that they do need the little fire engine, after all.

The story bears many similarities to Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel, with an outdated machine and its operator proving that they still have something to contribute to the world.  However, it's a theme that bears repeating, and its distinctive setting in an English village lends it its own special character.  The pen-and-watercolor illustrations by Edward Ardizzone perfectly complement the text, and make the book an ideal read-aloud for ages 4-6.

Rating: A-

Comments

Popular Posts